Dragons honored in annual Junior Ring Ceremony

The Catalyst / Francesca Arbelaez

Students from the class of ’24 show off their rings after their Junior Ring Ceremony.

NDB’s traditional Junior Ring Ceremony took place the morning of Sunday, November 6, and was an event that the Dragons had been anticipating since the beginning of the school year.

Juniors and their families arrived on campus for this special occasion with smiles on their faces and rings on their fingers. The girls lined up into two lines which then processed into the Moore Pavillion, greeted by family and friends who sat in the bleachers. Father David Ghiorso from St. Charles Parish led the prayer portion of the ceremony and did so with humor and charisma. He also blessed each student’s ring with holy water.

In addition to being a prayer service, the Junior Ring Ceremony honors the juniors as upperclassmen and future school leaders. As the seniors submit their college applications and move into the next phase of their lives, it is the juniors’ responsibility to be the following role models and proudly represent NDB.

During the service, Head of School Meredith Essalat reflected on her own Junior Ring Ceremony and agreed that it marked the beginning of a new chapter in her life, one that tightened the bond between her and her classmates.

“The ring is a symbol of our sisterhood at Notre Dame and is kind of an induction into being juniors and bringing us into the upper class,” said junior Caitlin Degnan. “So whenever I look at the ring I remember I’m a part of Notre Dame and the community forever.”

Jonathan Tomczak and Junior Class Coordinator Kathryn Blanchard ended the event with a message of congratulations and inspiration to the class, lifting them to do great things like those before them.

After the Junior Class Council said their closing words, the service came to an end.

“I liked the ceremony and the length was perfect, short and sweet,” said junior Kayla Messick. “I appreciated that it wasn’t super serious so we could talk to each other and have fun.”

Following the ceremony, appetizers were provided in the Father Downey Garden as the juniors took photos. They posed with their new rings among their family and classmates, marking another milestone in their NDB journey.