Storms affect Bay Area

The Catalyst / Lauren Fitzgerald

While people have taken shelter in response to major downpours, wildlife have enjoyed the extra rain.

As students and staffulty returned to school on January 10, 2023, they were met with emails warning about water damage in specific areas on campus.

“Due to recent weather conditions, the basement of the school building will be closed until further notice,” announced school administration in an email to the NDB community.

The Bay Area, and the state of California at large, welcomed the new year with record-breaking rainfall. Roads closed, sandbag stations opened and residents huddled inside to stay dry. Rain crept into the school building, flooding the basement and interfering with many of the classrooms located downstairs.

As a result, several math and physical education classes that are usually held downstairs were forced to relocate to other rooms throughout the school. In addition, all students have been unable to access their lockers this semester, causing major inconveniences for many.

“These recent storms flooded our basement, art room and other areas of our school,” said Director of Student Life and Leadership Alicia Bergholm. “[I’m] praying we get a break from the storms soon as a lot of communities need a break and time to dry out.”

Closures at school, however, have not been the only limitations on students as rain has also impacted life at home.

“I think the main effect I’ve seen is the flooding,” said junior Isabella Sucre. “I live right by a creek, and there was a huge amount of flooding downstream that ended up running into people’s houses and businesses.”

The city of Belmont has also experienced obstacles due to the storms. Road closures on El Camino Real and Old Country Road have caused major traffic jams, and the city has opened three self-serve sandbag stations to help residents resist storm surges.

Rainfall finally cleared on January 16 and by January 17, drains were cleared and roads were dry. In classic California fashion, many have recognized that the abundance of rainfall was necessary, while still grateful for some sunny skies.