Basketball: Alumnae return to play on their home court

The Catalyst / Kate Mahoney

The current NDB Basketball team poses with the NDB Basketball alumni after winning the annual game.

The NDB alumnae were called back to their old stomping grounds to participate in NDB’s annual alumnae basketball game. On the evening of November 23, the Moore Pavilion was filled with NDB alumnae and families to watch the annual game.

The current NDB Varsity Basketball team went up against the NDB Basketball alumnae, who formed a team from a variety of years. The alumnae showed up the day of and were immediately brought back to their high school days.

Although the score was close, the current NDB basketball team pulled through, narrowly winning over the alumnae basketball team, with a final score of 35-34.

Alumna Ashley North ‘22 returned to NDB to participate in her first annual alumnae game. North played on NDB’s Varsity and JV basketball teams all four years of her high school career.

“It was a cool experience. It was exciting getting to see everyone and play with old teammates, and I’m looking forward to next year,” North shared.

The NDB Spirit Squad was also in attendance. The NDB Spirit Squad coaches, all three being NDB cheer alumnae, recruited other alumnae to participate in the game. Paired with the current NDB Spirit Squad, they were able to create a routine with stunts and dances included.

The team held two practices leading up to the game to formulate their routine. All participants were sent a USA Tryout Dance to learn before the first practice. The pom and cheer alumnae were all included in the routine, utilizing their previous stunt and dance skills from high school.

Alumna Amber Gross (Walton) ‘09 joined the current NDB Spirit Squad in performing the alumnae halftime routine. Gross cheered during the entirety of her four years at NDB, first year being on JV, and the last three being a member on varsity. She was chosen as one of the captains during her senior year.

The cheerleaders performed their routine during halftime at the game.

“Overall, I just loved performing… the adrenaline and energy, the power of teamwork, the aesthetics, high ponytail and bow with sparkly uniforms, the music – there’s nothing like it,” Gross reflected.

The current NDB athletes were able to socialize with the NDB alumnae from both basketball and the spirit squad. Being able to meet the now-graduated athletes, proves the strength in NDB’s athletics program and community.

“I loved being able to come back to NDB and not only cheer with the current spirit squad, but also with other alumnae, many of whom I cheered with in high school. It’s awesome to see the women I cheered with coaching the current teams,” Gross said. “I was able to reconnect with old friends and look forward to keeping those relationships going.”

Each year, NDB’s alumnae basketball game continues to strengthen the bond between the graduated athletes and the current ones. It allows the current students to connect with their former teammates or sisters from older grade levels. NDB highlights the importance of this connection by continuing this tradition each year. This annual game serves as a great opportunity to get the community involved and connected, especially during the beginning of the holiday season.