The Class of 2020 makes the most of their last semester of high school

The Catalyst / Robert Rojas

Since the announcement from California Governor Gavin Newsom stated that all schools would remain online for the remainder of the year, many high school seniors have found ways to make the most of their time even if they are not in school with all of their friends. Although this could be a time of disappointment and uncertainty, many students have taken it into their own hands to try and end the year on a good note. A few seniors from NDB have shared different ways that they have been able to make the most of their time in quarantine while still celebrating the end of their high school journey.

Isabelle Collins, Senior

The Catalyst (TC): How do you feel currently about online school for the end of senior year?

Isabelle Collins (IC): The end of the school year being online is devastating, but with that being said we have to keep in mind that we are so lucky to have all the support and resources during this time.

TC: Have you done anything since quarantine with your friends? (While social distancing, of course)

IC: I am able to see my friends either virtually or from a distance and although it is not your typical senior experience I think everyone is trying to make the most of the experience.

TC: Would you say you have made the most of this experience?

IC: One of my new favorite hobbies is face timing with my friends at three in the morning because everyone’s sleep schedules are so thrown off.

TC: What have you done to celebrate the end of senior year?

IC: You have to look for little pockets of light in these dark times!

Lakin Walsh, Senior

Lakin Walsh (LW): As much as I would rather be at school, online isn’t too bad. It’s something to keep me occupied during the day.

LW: I have seen a few friends and hung out from our cars. In the beginning of the shelter-in-place, I quarantined with my friend at my cabin which was really fun.

LW: I would say I have made the most of this experience. I have been tanning a lot and have been binge-watching a lot of shows with my family.

LW: I haven’t done anything yet to celebrate the end of senior year, but will move towards graduation.

Venetia Prontzos, Senior

Venetia Prontzos (VP): Spending the end of my senior year in online school is definitely not an experience I ever thought I would have. I feel frustrated and confused as to why this situation had to affect my senior year because I’ve been looking forward to this time of my life for so long. Although it’s definitely not ideal, I’m trying to make the most of the situation by being present in class with my peers because I know how little time we have left together.

VP: I’ve seen my friends twice since quarantine started. For one of my friend’s birthday, we got a group together to have a drive-by celebration for her, which was so nice because I hadn’t seen my friends for about a month and a half. After that, we also had a social distancing picnic where we all got to catch up and talk about our plans for college.

VP: I’ve tried my best to make the most out of this experience. Although it’s definitely a really difficult time, I’ve been focusing on being thankful for my health and trying to call my friends as often as I can.

VP: I haven’t done much yet. I have my Class of 2020 lawn sign in my front yard and am hoping to have a small graduation party with family and friends after quarantine ends.

Avery Stump, Senior

The Catalyst (TC): How do you currently feel about online school for the end of senior year?

Avery Stump (AS): I think the online school is a lot. I think the teachers are doing a great job of keeping up the positivity, but I personally think students are on Zoom and technology way more than a healthy amount.

AS: I have seen my friends, and we were following all of the social distancing guidelines and it has been fun! I miss them a lot, for sure.

AS: I think I have made the most of the experience. I also think it is difficult because other people who I surround myself aren’t exactly marking the most of it, but positivity is key!

AS: My family has held a lot of fun things like a mini-prom with photos, and then I had a special signing day which was fun. My family is also buying fun cat decorations for the “graduation.”

Angela Marie Fairman, Senior

Angela Marie Fairman (AM): Honestly, I am still trying to wrap my head around the situation. I am trying to make the most of it at this point. Like, hey, at least, I don’t have to leave my bed.

AM: I have done a few drive-by birthday celebrations and one “friend group” get-together. It is nice being able to see people, and it makes me appreciate them more.

AM: No, I feel as if I need to get out of the house more often. I feel like the situation has made me not want to leave my house.

AM: I have bought a pink cap and gown to celebrate my graduation.

Alex Loos, Senior

Alex Loos (AL): I’m disappointed that my second semester [of] senior year has to be online. However, it’s nice to see all of my teachers and friends on Zoom. I am grateful to be spending my last semester with my fellow Gators!

AL: I have spent time with my friends. I’ve done some drive-bys for birthdays, FaceTime calls, and many family Zoom meetings.

AL: I am still trying to accept what is going on around me. I do think I am taking advantage of being outside and spending time with my family. I have also been going to the beach and watching a lot of sunsets which have been absolutely gorgeous.

AL: I haven’t done anything specifically for my senior year. However, I am planning on celebrating something soon when I can see all my other classmates!