The Catalyst selects its next editor in chief

The Catalyst / Robert Rojas
Mia Muzzi, The Catalyst Managing Editor, 2022-2023

Junior Mia Muzzi will serve as the editor in chief of the Catalyst, NDB’s student newspaper, for the 2023-2024 school year.

“I’m very excited,” said Muzzi. “I’m really looking forward to having some of the old staff members come back and then getting a new staff to work with and learn from.”

Muzzi has been involved with NDB’s Journalism program since her freshman year. She has taken the Journalism I-III elective class for the past three years. She has held the positions of Staff Writer, Arts & Life Editor and Managing Editor during that time. She will be the first NDB student to take Journalism IV.

When asked what readers could expect from her leadership of the Catalyst, Muzzi said, “I’m really excited to start the Tiger TV portion of the Catalyst and to add a video production and broadcast journalism aspect.”

Outgoing Editor in Chief and senior Molly Phan will continue in her position until she graduates in early June. She will work closely with Muzzi and help transition her to the new role.

“Mia has been an amazing managing editor this year,” said Phan. “ I have been able to count on her for everything from spread design to late night proofreading. I am confident that [she] will lead the Catalyst very successfully next year.”

The editor in chief is in charge of the school newspaper, leading its editorial staff and moderating the Journalism Club, all in the production of the print and online newspaper and its social media platforms. While the selection process is an ongoing process throughout the year, the announcement of the next editor in chief usually happens before production begins on the last issue of the school year.