NDB hosts Father Daughter Dance

The Catalyst / Peyton Daley

NDB freshman Natalie Nootbaar rides the mechanical bull at the Father Daughter Dance.

On Friday, November 19, the Mothers Club hosted its annual Father Daughter Dance for all students and their fathers to enjoy a night of “Boot Scootin’ Boogie”-themed fun in the Father Downey Garden.
Students and their fathers took the western theme very seriously, as many were dressed in cowboy and cowgirl hats and boots. Hats and bandanas were handed out at the beginning of the night to help students complete their outfits. The Father Downey Garden was equipped with an abundance of flowers and string lights to give the dance the ambiance of a western setting, complete with wooden barrels used as tables.
“I thought the dance was very put together. Overall, it was really fun,” said senior Ashley Mullarkey about her experience at the dance.
The Mother’s Club worked very hard to set up a special event for the Tigers.

I thought it was a great way to spend time with all the fathers. I think the Mother’s Club did a great job.

— Avery Tuthill

As with many other events held this year, the location of the dance was moved outside so that the NDB community could still enjoy the night on campus while maintaining proper COVID-19 safety precautions. Although the dance was different from past events, it was still a very memorable and beloved event for the Tigers.
Dinner was served at the event with a menu of beef sliders, chicken strips and baked potatoes. Students also enjoyed cupcakes topped with chocolate cowboy boots to add to the festivities.
A cowboy came to teach the students and their fathers western line dances, showing them the steps slowly at first and then speeding up.
Another one of the main attractions was a mechanical bull, which students were eager to hop on. Although there were many falls, the Tigers enjoyed riding the bull for as long as they could and cheering on their classmates.
“I loved the mechanical bull – like ten out of ten,” Tuthill said. “I was on it for 30 seconds.”
Unfortunately, light rain meant that the bull had to be taken down halfway through the night, but the attendees moved under the awning of the Moore Pavilion to continue dancing.
“I enjoyed the photo booth and line dancing. My dad liked the bull,” added Mullarkey.
Many seniors especially appreciated this opportunity to have one last dance on campus before they go to college next year.
“The Father Daughter Dance was such a fun experience for my friends and our dads because we got to know each other better and had a great time dancing all night,” said senior Emma Wylie.