Thank you for wearing your mask

The Catalyst / Delaney Icard-Cullen

We know that everyone is tired of reading about COVID-19. After so long on Zoom, school is finally starting to feel normal again. However, that does not mean that the pandemic is over.

Masks are an easy way to protect everyone from COVID-19. While they can be hard to talk through or annoying at times, those minor inconveniences are well worth the benefits. Yet, at the first rally of the year, students had their masks under their noses and were crowded together. At lunches, people leave their masks off after they are done eating and sit in large, close groups. In class, masks creep down faces until they are below the nose. Students pull their masks down in the hallways and at social events, despite the staff’s constant reminders to keep masks over their mouth and nose.

When students purposefully disregard the school’s COVID-19 policies, they not only endanger themselves but also put the whole community at risk of an outbreak. Even though a large portion of the community is vaccinated, it is not time yet to forget about the reality of the pandemic. Three out of the five cases of COVID-19 so far at NDB have been vaccinated individuals, demonstrating that those vaccinated are still not completely safe, so everyone should continue to follow the safety protocols put in place to keep us safe.

We want freshmen to learn the traditions of NDB and experience the sisterhood in person, not through their computer screens. We want sophomores and juniors to participate in their first true Aquacades while being cheered on by their classmates. We want the senior class to be able to have a traditional graduation ceremony this spring. Most of all, we want our community to remain safe and healthy. But none of that will be possible if we do not keep our masks on.

Online school is just not the same as being in person. For many students, it is much harder to learn over Zoom, especially in subjects like science and art that require hands-on labs or projects. Additionally, all sports were compromised and social events such as rallies and dances were impossible. Now, we are able to have these events with the small requirement of wearing masks. Would you rather be at a rally with a mask or sitting in your room behind a computer?

We are very grateful for this opportunity to be back on campus this year. However, every NDB student has to do their part and wear their masks in order for this to work.