News in brief: Beginning April 15, 2021, every Californian age 16 and older will become eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

The Catalyst / Joshua Hoehne (Courtesy of Unsplash)

All Californians over the age of 16 are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

As of April 15, 2021, all people ages 16 and over in California are now able to receive the COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine. This includes the majority of NDB students.

Although the vaccine is not 100% effective, it will still provide a layer of comfort as long as people continue to wear masks and take the necessary precautions.

The Pfizer vaccine requires two doses. It is recommended that the doses are spaced apart by three weeks, although the CDC has stated that it is okay to get the second dose anywhere between three and six weeks after the first. After receiving both doses, one is still not fully vaccinated until two weeks later.

Over time, most of our school’s population will be vaccinated, leading to a more normal on-campus life. With many students vaccinated, things like sports and other activities will be able to go back to a more normal state.

High school students that are able to get the vaccine will be able to feel more confident and safe in the school environment after being vaccinated. This will also let people that are under 16 years old feel better about coming to school with a population of mostly vaccinated students.