Preview: “The Wedding Singer”

Tri-School Productions is taking us back to the 1980s with its upcoming spring musical, “The Wedding Singer.”  The play stars Serra HS junior Max Leininger and Mercy HS student Klara La Guardia with an ensemble cast of students from Mercy, NDB, and Serra HS.

Inspired by an Adam Sandler rom-com, it tells the story of Robbie Hart, a nice guy with a broken heart who works one of the most romantic jobs: a wedding singer. After being left at the altar, he meets Julia, a vibrant and young waitress. Sparks fly when she enlists his assistance for her own wedding.

On most evenings during the past three months, students rehearse at Serra HS’s Gellert Auditorium. By practicing their different song and dance routines, each cast member plays an important role in bringing the musical together.

Ensemble cast member and NDB sophomore Maggie Stack says, “I like being a part of this production because it has brought me closer to new people from all three schools and, even though it is hard work, it is completely worth the effort.”

Dedication and discipline is a mandatory part of participating in a high school theatre production like this one.

Musical Director and NDB Performing Arts teacher Ashley Willits is very familiar with this.  She has acted on stage multiple times in her life and describes the transition from performer to director as “a magnificent new perspective.”

Willits encourages people to come to the show. She says, “Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are classics! Seeing the movie transform into an on-stage production with new songs, makes for an entertaining and hilarious new spin on the film. Plus the actors encapsulate the 1980s music and humor to a T!”

The musical opens Friday, March 29 at 7:30pm at Serra HS’s Gellert Auditorium. Performances run until Saturday, April 6 with most shows at 7:30pm.  Tickets start at $14.99.

Audiences of all ages are welcome with the musical’s easy-to-follow plot and fun humor. If you are looking for some old-fashioned throwback fun with friends and family, this show is a great way to sit back and appreciate the style, hair, music and romance from the 80’s.

Tickets are available at TriSchoolProductions.com.