Second semester senioritis in a pandemic

The Catalyst / Charlotte King

Seniors, Charlotte King and Juila Granucci celebrate their class by decorating their car for senior year.

For as long as current seniors can remember, 2021 has been their long awaited graduation date. Now that we are here, it is beginning to feel so real as seniors begin their last semester as high school students and step towards beginning college. Every year as seniors finish off their high school careers, senioritis kicks in as girls begin to anticipate moving on to the next chapter of their lives. I checked in with NDB seniors to see how they are handling their last semester of high school.

“Due to this year’s circumstances, senior year has been truly unexpected. To my surprise I haven’t felt too much of the “senioritis” in comparison to some of my classmates. If anything, I am afraid of how much change the next year will bring as we graduate and move on to college,” said NDB senior, Zoe Enders. “After setting up my brother at his university this past weekend and seeing the nice dorms and rooming situation UC Davis has to offer, I felt my first glimpse of senioritis. The semester will go by far quicker for all of us when we look back, and though it is sad to leave my friends and family behind, the change is new and exciting. I am looking forward to seeing where we all end up and how we will handle the independence you gain as a college student.”

This year has been unprecedented for seniors, even more so than for the graduating class of 2020, and has left many seniors ready to move on to the next chapter of their lives.

“I am definitely feeling the senioritis right now and am definitely in between wanting to really enjoy my last few months of high school, but also feeling really ready to move on and go to college,” said NDB senior, Mary Hunsaker. “I think that it is even worse for seniors this year because of Covid-19 and being in distance learning. It is sad that high school had to end like this, but I am grateful that I have enjoyed my last few years at NDB.”

A lot of girls are now hearing back from schools that they applied to in the fall. This means that senioritis is kicking in even more because the security of knowing you have been accepted to a university takes off a lot of the pressure.

“This is definitely not what I expected for my senior year, but since college is just around the corner,” said NDB senior, Laura Collantes. “I know that I need to finish strong and not slack off. I hope that later on, senioritis doesn’t hit me and that I can make the best of my last year at NDB.”

Overall, NDB seniors are trying to make the best of the poor situation and finish their high school careers successfully and safely with as little senioritis as possible.