School implements late start schedule

Most B-days begin with Teacher Office Hours

The Catalyst / SAMANTHA RAMOS/THE CATALYST

Seniors take advantage of free time before school starts at 9:20am.

SAMANTHA RAMOS/THE CATALYST
Juniors Anayanzi Tostado and Andrea Rios study with friends during morning breakfast.

For the 2017-2018 school year, NDB implemented a new B-day late start schedule that begins with optional teacher office hours from 8:00 – 9:20am, homeroom from 9:20-9:30am, and then classes starting at 9:35am.

The intent of this new schedule was to give students more time to rest and prepare for their school day while still having time to meet with teachers for help.

The school has been meeting with a NDB parent, a sleep specialist, over the course of a few years in regards to teenagers and the importance of sleep.

“For years, he has been asking us to consider late starts and, last year, we decided to play around with a B-day schedule,” says Associate Head of School for Student Affairs Carolyn Hutchins.

According to the Better Sleep Council, along with simply experiencing exhaustion, insufficient sleep has been known to impair alertness, concentrating, judgment, learning, memory, problem solving, and reasoning.

The new schedule is designed to be beneficial for everyone, from students to faculty and staff.

Students that do not have the means of getting to school at a later time now have the morning hours to eat breakfast and study and spend time with other friends in the dining room. Most mornings are quiet until just minutes before homeroom starts.

“Late starts allow me to structure my mornings in a more relaxing way,” says senior Savanna Patrick.

“I arrive to school in a better mood and I feel that I am more receptive to learn,” she continued.

With an extended amount of time before school, some students feel that they are better able to prepare themselves to engage and participate actively in their classes throughout the day.

Senior Gabby Fanucchi says, “I love having the time to sleep in because, if you’re someone like me with a busy schedule, then you know all too well about staying up late.”

She also said, “The late arrival gives us the time to still get a good night’s rest.”

Teachers also benefit from the late start mornings. They have time to create lesson plans and grade assignments.  They also have time to meet with each other. as well as meet with students.

English teacher Adam Currier says, “I have noticed on B-days that students seem more relaxed, and I hear teachers like office hours more than collab because they are able to finish work more efficiently.”

Hutchins says, “Collaborations were difficult because teachers had to control the homeroom while helping students.” She also said, “We decided, ‘Why not flip to mornings, so students could get extra help?’ and it would benefit both the students who need help and students who need more rest.”

Overall, the new B-day late start schedule seems to have had a positive effect on students and teachers. NDB is considering plans to continue the schedule next year and to even expand it to A-days.

With contributions by sophomore Parker Daley.