NDB community welcomes the Class of 2021

With 133 members, the Knights are the largest freshman class in 8 years

The Catalyst / PHOTO COURTESY OF MIKE MILNE

The Knights pose for their first class photo of many to come during the next four years.

SAMANTHA RAMOS/THE CATALYST
The newly elected Freshman Class Council are ready to lead.

As the new school year started, the NDB community welcomed its newest little sisters, the freshman class of 2021, the Knights. This is the biggest class in recent school history with 133 students, beating the last year’s record of 126.

The class was first welcomed by Link Crew and faculty and staff members at Freshman Orientation, a two day program held a week before the actual first day of school. They played ice breakers and community building exercises, toured the campus to finder their classrooms and lockers, and reviewed school rules.

Junior and senior Link Crew leaders helped the new freshman feel accepted and part of the community, so nobody felt left out, something to be wary of with such a large class.

Junior Emilia Dougherty said she “tried to be very enthusiastic, but at the same time real with them.”

Many of the freshmen felt it was fun. Freshman Jessica Tablante said, “It was really spirited, and everyone was excited to see new people.”

The freshmen class’ first day of school was “better than expected” as they felt included in all that NDB had to offer.

Freshman Tiffany Tse said that she “loved how welcoming the Notre community was because everyone wanted you to be included.”

As their sister class, the junior class, the Titans, also stepped forward to help their little sisters get settled, whether it was by giving them advice about classes or showing them around campus.

To celebrate the end of their first full week of high school, a Frosh Splash was held at Serra High School and then a Frosh Social at NDB.  Students from Mercy, NDB, Serra, and other local high schools were present at the dance.

Provided with dancing, food, games, music, and a photobooth, everyone had an opportunity to meet new people and have a fantastic time.

Freshman Emily Fletcher said, “I thought the dance was fun. Even though I didn’t know that many people there, I still had a good time.”

Juniors and seniors that attended said seeing how much fun the freshmen were having made them think of their own Frosh Socials and look forward to other social events even more.

As they settled into the community over the past several weeks, the opportunity to choose their class name and become involved in student leadership arose.

Many of them attended a leadership meeting and ran for several class council positions.  Elections were held last week.

The freshmen class chose Mia Rose Adao as its president, Andrea Aquino as its vice-president, Maggie O’Brien as its secretary/treasurer, Carmela Zumot as activities director, Madeline Perry as athletics, Analiese Shelton as spirit commissioner, and Maya Madera as historian.

Adao said, “I hope to give everyone in our class a voice, to make them feel acknowledged, and to make a difference not just in my own class but in the whole community.” She looks forward to being able to lead the freshman this school year.

The NDB community put its best effort and care towards welcoming the freshman class between Link Crew and all the events for freshmen.