The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Gia Elhihi

Gia Elhihi, junior at Carlmont High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Gia Elhihi, a junior at Carlmont High School, about her experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Gia Elhihi (GE): I don’t have Zoom calls, so I don’t have to wake up by a certain time. Instead, my teachers upload assignments to an app called Canvas and, from there, we just do the assignment listed. To turn-in assignments, we have to take a picture of it and send it through Canvas.

TC: How are you coping with shelter in place social distancing and keeping in touch with your friends?

GE: I’m honestly not doing the best with shelter in place and social distancing. I’m a very extroverted person, and I love being with my friends. I’m also having a difficult time staying motivated in school. I personally find myself doing better when I’m in a classroom with a teacher to help me, rather than doing everything at home myself.

TC: Do you feel like the amount of work you’ve been assigned is more, less, or about the same as it was before? 

GE: The amount of work I’ve been assigned has definitely been less. Since I’ve been doing online school, the only homework I’ve been assigned is review, so I haven’t learned much new information. 

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *