Looking back at the last three years of COVID-19

The Catalyst / Ashley Turner

Classes have been fully in-person for over a year now, and many students still opt to continue to wear a mask.

This March marks the three-year anniversary of COVID-19 shutting down the world. While those times at the peak of lockdown were isolating and difficult for the most part, they gave opportunities for self-discovery and reflection, as well as family time that is often forgotten.

The lockdown ceased all in-person classes and forced students to be isolated from their friends and even their sports or other extracurriculars. The lack of such activities allowed for students to escape from the rush of typical life. This gave spare time that they had never had such an abundance of. Students could explore hobbies such as books and art, which do not require human contact.

This also gave students time to reflect on themselves. Social isolation gave students flexibility to find a new passion and discover what activities or people leave positive influences on their lives. The time of isolation allowed for self-exploration in various ways on every individual’s life.

Many felt that they grew a closer bond to their family with the social isolation. Without the comfort that is experienced everyday at school, students turned to their family to keep their spirits up.

Those years also brought an abrupt change to students’ school settings. As NDB has fully transitioned into in-person classes, many students recall how distance-learning affected their experience.

“I found it detrimental but it was also fine,” said sophomore Paige Lambert as she recalled taking classes from home. “It was boring because I didn’t get to see any of my friends and it ruined the social aspects of school, and you really had to pay attention more because you could easily get distracted.”

In order to bring everyday life back, the global pandemic had to encounter many scientific discoveries. National governments, pharmaceutical research companies and health professionals joined forces to create the first COVID-19 vaccine and boosters, which helped in combatting the spread and impact of COVID-19 and its variants.

With the large-scale threats of COVID-19 infection steadily fading from society, many will reflect on the virus had greatly shaped all lives.