Okubo named Athletic Director

FRANCESCA ARBELAEZ/THE CATALYST Coach Okubo helps senior Isabelle Neil with her torn ACL.

On Tuesday, March 22, 2022, an email was sent out to the entire NDB community announcing the departure of Athletic Director, Jason Levine. The next day, a second email was sent to announce that current NDB Athletic Trainer Christina Okubo is to take Levine’s place as Athletic Director. Between meeting with students to ice and wrap their injuries during lunch and standing ready at the sideline of basketball and soccer games, Okubo has repeatedly demonstrated how much she cares about the athletes at NDB. This dedication makes it clear to the community that she will be an excellent Athletic Director.

“We were all devastated when Mr. Levine broke the news that he would be leaving NDB. So there was a
week or two where I experienced a variety of emotions initially,” said Okubo. “But after talking to my family, my closest friends, and colleagues, I felt more confident that I could apply for the position and take on the responsibility if NDB gave me the opportunity.”

As NDB gets used to Levine’s goodbye, the community wonders what the athletic department will look like under Okubo’s management.

“Since I have been part of this athletic department for almost 12 years now, I have seen it develop into a very successful program,” Okubo added. “There are always things that can be improved in any program though, so part of this first year as Athletic Director will be evaluating strengths and areas that need improvement and finding solutions to make things run more efficiently.”

Okubo wears many hats at NDB. She is an athletic trainer and a sports medicine teacher, so she inter-
acts with students as both a teacher and coach. However, with her new position, these responsibilities might fall on someone new.

“I don’t have any information at this time if I will be able to teach the sports medicine class or if the new certified athletic trainer coming in will be teaching the course, that’s still to be determined,” said Okubo.

Although NDB will miss Levine, there are good things that come with change. Christina Okubo has not made many solid plans for the next school year, but she is excited about the new opportunities that will undoubtedly present themselves this upcoming August.

I am most looking forward to working with the athletic staff, coaches, student-athletes, and school community in a slightly different capacity than I have as the athletic trainer

— Christina Okubo

“I am most looking forward to working with the athletic staff, coaches, student-athletes, and school community in a slightly different capacity than I have as the athletic trainer,” Okubo explained.
“Many of my colleagues I have worked with for years are jokingly calling me ‘boss’ which is
strange to hear; although my own kids do call me bossy,” Okubo joked. “But I am very excited to be a leader in the athletic department and will do my best to be the best advisor
and mentor that I can be.”

There is no doubt that Christina Okubo has what it takes to be NDB’s Athletic Director. Her leadership and plentiful experience with sports at NDB makes her especially ready to take on the role of athletics director, and NDB looks forward to the next years with her leading the program.