NDB celebrates the holiday season

The Catalyst / Clair Sapilewski

Seniors Catie Mahlman (left), Emma Treanor and Kyra Green help decorate the senior class Christmas tree in the dining hall.

Throughout December, NDB has been bringing back old holiday traditions and introducing new festivities to celebrate the season and get into a cheerful spirit before students embark on their winter breaks.

Many of the traditional holiday celebrations that upperclasswomen remember from previous years have been making a comeback after the year of online school. This December, holiday cheer is much appreciated and welcomed all around the campus.

“During the holiday season we have a class tree decorating competition along with the traditional door decorating contests within homerooms,” said ASB member Ali Lewis.

ASB has organized a revival of all of NDB’s classic holiday festivities with events such as the Homeroom Door Decorating Competition, in which homerooms cover their classroom door with holiday-themed decor. At the end of the competition, ASB will name a winner among all of the homerooms.

The Christmas Tree Decorating Competition was a new contest on campus this year. Each grade received a Christmas tree and the class councils were able to adorn their grade’s trees with holiday decorations in accordance with their class colors. The Class of ‘22 covered their tree with their senior portraits in place of ornaments.

The competition was between the two sets of sister classes, with the freshmen paired with the juniors and the sophomores paired with the seniors. The Christmas Tree Decorating Competition was a fun activity to get students into the holiday spirit, and the Tigers enjoyed the friendly competition between the sister classes.

“The Grinch may have stolen Christmas but we’re going to steal this competition,” joked junior class council member Zeina Zumot.

The trees now stand in the dining hall on display for all students and faculty to admire.

“I’m really excited for the Christmas season to start and I’m happy that Notre Dame is doing so many holiday-themed things,” commented freshman class council member Annie Stump.

As final exams approach, ASB wants to ensure that students remain cheerful despite this stressful time. Tigers will be able to participate in a spirit week near the end of the semester so that they can maintain the holiday cheer and celebrate together with fun themes and activities.

“We are also planning a holiday spirit week to let students get in the holiday spirit and have something fun before finals,” added Lewis.

Each day of the spirit week, students will be able to come to school dressed to fit whatever holiday theme was designated.

Along with the holiday traditions put together by students, the spiritual life department also hosted Advent prayer services, which helped students learn about the religious and historical background of the holiday.

The prayer service took place during spiritual life classes on November 30 and December 1. During the prayer service, students were able to reflect on their goals and mindset as they enter the Advent season.

Videos were shown to teach the students more about the season and help them understand the importance of this time.

Although NDB is a Catholic school and celebrates holidays within the Catholic tradition, the school maintains an inclusive environment that recognizes all cultures.

During morning prayer, students have participated in various forms of reflection, including prayers from the Jewish faith to recognize the celebration of Hanukkah during this time.