NDB recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The Catalyst / Emma Boyd

Juniors Delaney Icard-Cullen and Athena Carvallo run the Dig Pink check-in table.

During the month of October, the NDB community takes the time to bring awareness to breast cancer. NDB sells a handful of pink items for students to wear during October to show their support such as shirts, socks, and bracelets. To help organize the events, the Dig Pink Club helps set up the biggest fundraiser event for October, the Dig Pink Volleyball Game. The game happens every October to raise awareness for Breast Cancer.

Many members of the community love getting involved and have helped raise awareness. Around 100 students have joined the Dig Pink Club this year and a large portion of the school population wear pink items in support. As the Breast Cancer awareness events progress, a few students reflect on this month and how the community brings about awareness. Senior Ava Lough expresses her thoughts on how well the NDB community brings awareness to breast cancer, “Dig pink is a great way to raise awareness to the community, but there could be a bit more done during the rest of October.” Having the sales and the volleyball game are great ways to raise awareness, but Lough believes that there are some things missing.

Trisha Garud, a sophomore at NDB, believes that NDB does an excellent job of raising awareness, stating, “The Dig Pink Club has 100 people, which is a good chunk of the school and I think that’s a great way to bring awareness.” Garud and Lough both believe that the amount of awareness raised by the NDB community is sufficient enough to help donate towards foundations that help search for a cure.

The NDB community is enthralled by the movie Mean Girls and a very famous phrase that the students use at NDB is “on Wednesdays we wear pink” to signify the importance of pink during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.