Students get their first social dance

The Catalyst / Megan Worry

Members of the classes of ‘24 and ‘25 enjoy the glow-themed dance held in the Fr. Downey Garden.

Freshman and sophomores finally go to their first high school dance
By Kayla Messick

NDB held its first dance of the school year on Friday, September 10. It is traditionally an opportunity for Tri-School freshmen to get to know each other as they start their high school years. But, it was a really special event for the Dragons and Monarchs: their first high school dance ever.
The event was deejayed by Guidance Counselor-turned-DJ Allan Gargaritano. There were lights, a smoke machine and a photo booth with props.
However, the dance was different from dances in the past. The sophomore class was also invited to the dance since they were not able to have a school dance last year.
Additionally, there was no coat check, no food available, it was outside in the Father Downey Garden, and it was shorter than usual, only lasting two hours. Some students felt that it was hard to meet Tri-School students during the event.
“It was a little awkward because we were kind of staying in our separate groups and walking around and no one was actually socializing and talking to ne

“It was a little awkward because we were kind of staying in our separate groups and walking around and no one was actually socializing and talking to new people,”

— Lucy Wood

w people,” said sophomore Lucy Wood.
“Also, no one really actually started to dance until around more than halfway through. I actually liked that there was only one slow song played. It made it a lot less awkward.”
These awkward social interactions may have been more caused by a year of COVID-19 than by the dance.
“A lot of things were different,” said Link Crew member Gulianna Ceschin, who helped chaperone the dance.
“It was outside, which, I think, made it a little more fun because, when it’s inside, it’s a lot more hot,” Ceschin added. “It was kind of cramped, and there was no food allowed, which was kind of disappointing because I think a lot of people thought there would be more… So, I guess the main big changes were it was outside, there was no food, and, of course, everyone had to wear masks. I think they did the best with what they could, and I think they made it pretty much the same as normal dances.”
Even though the dance was different from dances in the past, it was still a good way to connect, meet new people and spend time with friends.