The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Jacqueline Helmig

Jacqueline Helmig, senior at Burlingame High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Jacqueline Helmig, senior at Burlingame High School, about her experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Jacqueline Helmig (JH): I usually wake up around 9 a.m. and get up first thing because, if I lay in bed any longer, I will feel like it was a waste of a morning. I make my bed and get dressed and do my hair to feel productive. Then, I make myself a cup of coffee and do my homework. I usually finish at 2:45 p.m.

TC: How are you coping with shelter in place and keeping in touch with your friends?

JH: The shelter in place is difficult especially because my whole family is home from college. We have been FaceTiming our family and staying in touch, but it’s hard to not be able to see them.

TC: Are there any activities that you’ve done either by yourself or with your family that you have found to be entertaining?
JH: I recently started painting again, and I am really enjoying it. My family and I have been doing puzzles and going on a bunch of walks and hikes around our neighborhood.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *