Health and Wellness Board Interview

Health & Wellness Board Interview

By Ella Burrin and Daphne Sidoti

The app free challenge was a week where freshman students vowed to delete their social media and were not able to use Netflix or youtube. One of the goals was to show how much time people are actually wasting on social media when they could be using that time to finish things that need to get done.

One of the essential parts of this controversial one week “app free challenge” was the head of the whole operation, the Health and Wellness Board. Bea Ross and Camryn Caceres are the co-presidents of the 2018-2019 health and wellness board. Because Denise Uhl wanted to kickstart this new challenge, the Health and Wellness board took it upon themselves to help these freshman throughout the week.

Q: Can you tell me about the social media challenge?

A: The point of the project is to show freshman that being off of social media can change your life, whether that’s because it gives you more free time, or you care less about what people think. It gives you a chance to see if you like going off the grid or not.

Q: Throughout the week, what did you notice about the freshman going off of social media?

A: Overall some of the kids honestly said that they did not really see a difference, and that is because the kids did not use social media already, so they couldn’t really see a direct change. The girls who did have an active social media account before though said they all had a lot more time to do what they wanted to do, like dance or sports.

Q: From being on the board, did you see this challenge as something useful for the school overall?

A: I absolutely think it was a good use of our time because, at the end of the day, I think it had a really positive outcome. Anything that the health and wellness board can do to help the student body, even just a couple of kids, that is a success for us.

Overall, the week free challenge seemed like a success towards the Health and Wellness Board, and students seemed to have positive things to take away from participating in the challenge. While it is not decided whether this will be an annual thing or not, the first time challenge for this is a success.

Q: What is the next goal for this challenge?

A: We are hoping that the kids who did the one week challenge will motivate other girls to try and give up social media. We know that deleting social media is an unrealistic goal, but hopefully, girls can see that they can put more time towards extracurricular rather than social media.