Grand Piano Donated to VPA Department

The Performing Arts Program at NDB is thrilled to now have a grand piano in the music room to kick off the new school year.

The Ullyot family kindly donated their grand piano to NDB. Their son, Teddy, is a freshman at Serra. However, while Serra was originally offered the piano, their program was not in need of one.

The Kawai piano was made around 30 years ago and is in pristine condition. Music Director Ashley Willits said, “Just like the smell and taste of a homemade meal, this handmade piano feels and sounds authentic and rich,”.

Students who walk through the basement frequently hear singing voices and instruments playing in Room 10. The lively music room is also home to a couple guitars, a mini drum set, and now the grand piano. NDB’s older Yamaha piano still sits in the corner of the music room, but the grand piano takes center stage.

Willits described the plans for both pianos, “The new grand will be used for rehearsal purposes in the music room. At this point, the upright originally in the room will be used for sectionals when we rehearse. As soon as the music department eventually moves above the Moore gym, all of these pianos will be used for sectionals in their respective room, for practice”. NDB is looking forward to the development of the new science and music wing, being constructed on the level above the Moore Pavillion.

This addition to the Performing Arts Program will enhance learning for orchestra and choir students. Orchestra student, Gabby Arceo ‘22 said, “The grand piano has an excellent sound and gives the music room a more professional feeling. I just think it’s such a beautiful instrument,”.