Recognizing Staffulty Appreciation Week

The Catalyst / Mia Muzzi

Each staffulty member received a gift bag from an NDB family.

The NDB community showed lots of love for its staffulty during Staffulty Appreciation Week from March 6 to March 10. Throughout the week, both faculty and staff members received handwritten cards, gifts and a lot of gratitude from NDB students and families.

In previous years, NDB, along with many other schools across the nation, celebrated Teacher Appreciation Week during the first full week of May. But, as NDB implements the use of the word “staffulty” this year in order to acknowledge all who work at the school, the community also recognizes the need to extend the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week to all of its other members, including staff.

This year, Staffulty Appreciation Week was officially established as the second full week of March.

“Everybody who’s on a campus in a school is working towards the same goal, which is to elevate the student experience, whether that’s intellectually or socially or spiritually,” said Head of School Meredith Essalat. “So, I want everybody to receive the same degree of gratitude and appreciation for what they’re bringing to the table.”

Ashley Sullivan, mom of two current NDB students, organized the events for the week. She worked with the NDB Mother’s Club and individual families to make Staffulty Appreciation Week a success and to acknowledge the efforts of every working member of the school.

On Monday, the week’s festivities began. Before the school day started, a coffee cart was set up in the staffulty lounge with a variety of caffeinated beverages for members to enjoy. Each staffulty member received a mug with the phrase “NDB Staffulty” printed on the front.

On Tuesday, cards from students were written for every staffulty member. These cards contained words of appreciation and gratitude for every person who makes NDB special. Each staffulty member picked up their individual card in the parlor.

“As teachers, we send so much out to students in terms of information, empathy, and so much else, it’s just nice to know that some of it at least is being received,” said Social Sciences teacher Jonathan Tomczak, when reflecting on the notes of appreciation and gratitude he received from students.

On Wednesday, NDB families organized a continental breakfast for all staffulty members, which was served in the Dining Room before classes started. Families signed up to bring food items and beverages to contribute to the early surprise. Food items included cronuts, yogurt, fresh fruit and some other homemade treats.
On Thursday, each staffulty member received a small gift bag from an NDB family. Each bag contained the teacher’s favorite treats and gift cards to their favorite stores. Popular gift cards included Trader Joe’s, Starbucks, Amazon and Target.

The week concluded on Friday with every staffulty member receiving a new vest, embroidered with the NDB emblem, courtesy of the NDB Board of Directors.

Staffulty Appreciation Week is an excellent reminder of all of the hard work and dedication that the NDB staffulty contributes to their students’ education. Although the week has passed, there is never a date on when to show thankfulness or gratitude to the staffulty members that help their students each and every day.

“As a community, we want to appreciate everybody who works to make us successful,” said Essalat. “That’s parents, that’s students, that’s alumni, that’s everybody, so I don’t ever want to see gratitude just encapsulated in a specific time.”