“Once Upon a Dream”: Students gather for annual winter formal

The Catalyst / Molly Phan

Students dance the night away at the annual winter formal.

NDB’s annual winter formal dance was held on February 4, 2023 at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Foster City. The dance’s theme, “Once Upon a Dream,” transported students to a fairytale world.

This year’s event had high attendance from NDB students and their accompanying guests, with a total of around 480 tickets sold. The dance’s guest policy was updated this year, permitting students to bring two guests instead of only one, so NDB students could bring along more friends for the exciting occasion.

Every year, the winter formal dance is put together by a winter formal committee, made up of members from both NDB’s National Honor Society (NHS) and California Scholarship Federation (CSF) boards. The event is entirely student-led, from food planning to decorations. The committee began preparing for the event at the beginning of the school year in September.

“The power of collaborating different skills and interests towards a dance for everyone to enjoy is really fun and culminates into a fulfilling product,” said NHS Board Member Ella Chatterjee.

From 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., students had the opportunity to dance, eat and socialize. Music was provided by Quake City DeeJays, and some of the students’ favorite songs of the night included “Tití Me Preguntó” by Bad Bunny, “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey and “Love Story” by Taylor Swift.

“[It was] fantastic,” said freshman Niki Tzartzanis. “There were some great music choices, and I didn’t get crushed while dancing, which is always a plus.”

When they were not on the dance floor, students found themselves enjoying the buffet with an assortment of hors d’ oeuvres, entrees and desserts. Some of the favorites included pot stickers, chicken tenders, macaroni and cheese and sliders.

The greatest hit of the night, however, was the “Every Day is a Sundae” ice cream bar. Students had access to a build-your-own soft-serve station with toppings like chocolate sauce, whipped cream and assorted candy. Unfortunately, the machine broke near the end of the night and some students were left without a taste.

“I thought the food at formal was pretty good this year,” said senior Brooke Anderson. “I liked the variety because I like filling my plate up with different foods and having a party. I thought the dessert options were solid too, although I was disappointed that the ice cream machine broke before I could get some.”

Dancing was not the only social activity of the night, as students had the opportunity to pose with their friends in the photo booth. Guests could choose from a variety of fun props like hats, glasses and flower leis and a theme-related backdrop enhanced their photos. Additionally, activities such as board games and cards were provided by the winter formal committee to accommodate those who are not so interested in dancing.

This year’s formal proved to be a success for the winter formal committee, and students look forward to attending their next NDB dance.