Visual and Performing Arts students host holiday showcase

The+Dance+I-IV+classes+performed+a+holiday-themed+dance+routine+for+the+showcase.+

The Catalyst / Megan Worry

The Dance I-IV classes performed a holiday-themed dance routine for the showcase.

On Friday, December 2, the Visual and Performing Arts department hosted its annual holiday showcase in the Moore Auditorium during collaboration. Students from dance levels I through V, InStep and Musical Theatre performed various routines for the school community.

This event is an opportunity for students to showcase their work from the year, as well as celebrate the holiday season through holiday themed performances.

Dance levels I through V, taught by Colleen Lorenz, put on a jazz piece called “Underneath the Tree,” and Musical Theatre performed a poem called “Paper People.”

“We began practicing for the performance I think in November and we would spend the whole class learning the steps and moves for each song,” said freshman and dance I student Juliana Loar. “I thought the performance went well for the most part. I only messed up a couple times but I had a lot of fun and I found myself smiling the entire time. I’m proud of myself because I wouldn’t consider myself an amazing dancer but I thought I did a pretty good job for never dancing before in my life.”

The Musical Theater class, taught by Gary Stanford, performed “Once Upon a December,” a waltz routine and that dance levels I through IV performed in.

The In-Step Performance Company performed a jazz piece called “Oh Santa.”

The showcase concluded with the Winter Formal theme reveal led by the CSF and NHS boards. Dance levels I through V and musical theater participated in the reveal, a hip hop and jazz piece called “The Room Where it Happens.” NHS Adviser Jonathan Tomczak, created a reveal song by writing NDB themed lyrics to the tune of the Hamilton song, “The Room Where it Happens.” Dance students from all levels choreographed a dance to the song to assist in the reveal.

All students worked very hard throughout the semester and were excited to show their routines to the NDB community.