Students stress as finals approach

The Catalyst / Kathleen Davidson

Reviewing books with a semester’s worth of notes is a good way to study.

As the end of the first semester approaches, NDB students begin to prepare and study for final exams. Many begin creating study guides, meeting with teachers and reviewing past materials as the number of classes before finals diminish. Around the time that final exam season begins, stress within the community increases. 

“I am definitely feeling stressed going into finals,’’ said sophomore Hailey Degnan. “I think part of the reason for this is because of the amount of work we are getting on top of studying for finals … I’m hoping it will get better.” 

Although many are experiencing stress about the upcoming tests, students have already begun studying to ensure that they have enough time to review material from the whole semester. 

“I’m really stressed about finals, especially as a junior,” said junior Izzy Sucre. “I’m preparing by setting apart time each day to review and by setting small goals for myself to accomplish, such as studying for 30 minutes and then taking a break.” 

Some students find the transition time between regular classes and finals week challenging, and say they would benefit from a “dead week,” the week before finals dedicated to review without the addition of other homework. 

“Right now I’m pretty stressed out as I haven’t had the time yet to prepare for finals,” said senior Sienna Loar. “A lot of my classes are still finishing up topics, so I’ve had to focus on those assignments and tests first. I really feel the burnout because I’ve been staying up late each night trying to do as much as I can. I think a ‘dead week’ would be very beneficial to the school so that students can take more time preparing for finals.”  

For freshmen, this winter marks the first time they will experience finals as high schoolers. 

“As a freshman at NDB I never really knew what stress was,” said freshman Autumn Deetz-Rodriguez. “Now that finals are really just around the corner I know what stress truly is.” 

Finals begin on Friday, December 16 and end on Wednesday, December 21 before the community is dismissed for winter break. Students have worked hard all year and finals provide an opportunity for them to reflect and be tested on the material. 

Final exams are stressful, and it is important to remember that there are resources to help deal with stress. Counselors and teachers are always available to talk though concerns students may have.