The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Ryan Bruins

Ryan Bruins, a senior at Serra High School

Ryan Bruins, senior at Serra High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Ryan Bruins, a senior at Serra High School in San Mateo, about his experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Ryan Bruins (RB): A typical day is pretty light. Because we’re seniors, a lot of teachers either give us time to do our homework in class or assign a very light load at home. It’s also really fun during class – The teachers like to joke around with us and get to know us super well, so I really enjoy being around my teachers and messing around at lunch 

TC: How are you coping with social distancing and keeping in touch with your friends?

RB: I’m really struggling. I’m a super social person and being kept in my house 24/7 has been actually kind of depressing. I do enjoy getting to see my friends on Zoom and I FaceTime my close friends just to talk while I’m doing homework or laying around. Tessie is the only person I’m allowed to see because her family quarantined. So, luckily, I get to see her a few times a week when she comes over.

TC: Do you want to go back to school or do you like distance learning? Why?

RB: I want to go back to school so bad. I miss the boys and all my teachers a lot. Long distance learning has been a horrible experience because it is much harder to stay on task, find motivation to actually do my work, and, when it’s confusing, you just have to teach yourself. 

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *