The Catalyst / Abby Alger

Ally Lawrence, Staff Writer

Ally Lawrence, Staff Writer

Sunday, March 8, 2020: School’s canceled

The day I found out that school was canceled on Sunday night, I was more than excited. I called my best friend Avery and asked her to get boba with me, then proceeded to hang out with my friends, Cali and Lakin, and go to Cali’s house. Once I got to their house, I realized that I had gotten two emails from both my Statistics teacher and AP Gov teacher, saying that they were taking attendance to see if we were present in our classes and taking note of the assignments we were turning in or completing. Overall, when I found out that school was canceled, I was very excited and was looking forward to having a few days off, but then saw all the assignments and realized I would still have to technically be attentive in my classes and turning in assignments.

Monday, March 9, 2020: Teachers start to assign work

On Monday morning, I woke up bright and early for my Statistics class, where my teacher, Mr. Jude Loeffler, took attendance on a Google chat to see if my classmates and I were present or not. Soon after, we had to do a quick warm-up assignment on Desmos, a math website, in order to prove that we got up early and are understanding the material. My friend Lakin had slept over that night, so we worked on our assignment due at the start of the next class together, which was efficient because we were then able to help one another if we got stuck on a problem. After working on the assignment for the duration of the class, I completed my AP Gov quiz online and submitted it. I was only able to access the quiz from 10:00-10:45 a.m., causing me to stay attentive at any emails my teachers send me in the future, according to attendance and work completion. After taking my quiz, I went to the beach with my friends because I did not have any assigned homework for yoga and study hall. At night, I went to my other friend’s house because I did not have any work to do at night, and my friends and I all hung out again. Overall, it was a very relaxing day off with my friends, and I started to like online school, as long as I stayed on top of all my activities. 

Tuesday, March 10, 2020: Teachers continue to assign work

Tuesday was a more relaxed day, where I had to sign into my religion class by 9:45 a.m., complete a classwork assignment, then work on my passion project presentation, which is something we have been working on all year. I got to do pretty much anything after that until I was marked absent by Mr. Rojas, my journalism teacher. I logged onto a video chat with my classmates and was then marked present, and Mr. Rojas told my classmates and me what the homework was for the next couple of days, and what we needed to write about in class today. After that, I worked on a couple of assignments throughout the day then headed to work from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. I was tired of doing so much the day before that I relaxed at home and had a movie night with some of my friends. Overall, Tuesday was a good day to be productive and get some homework done while being productive at the same time.

My journalism classmates and I discuss news story assignments on Zoom video call with our teacher, Mr. Robert Rojas.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020: The last day before getting back to reality

Little did I know that school would be shut down until March 26, I continued with my online school schedule on Wednesday. I am proud to say that I had two of my classes back to back this morning and completed most of the work for both. I had statistics in the morning then AP Gov, where I got all of my homework done for stats and half of my assignments done for AP Gov.

Because I have two jobs both working with kids, I went on a “playdate” with Lily, the six-year-old girl that I nanny. We went to Hillsdale Mall and shopped at Claire’s, Lush, and Bath and Body Works, where Lily got some hand sanitizer, body glitter, and a unicorn-shaped bath bomb. I also shopped around with Lily and she gave me guidance on what to buy and what she thought was cute, which was mostly all of the sparkly stuff! After we went to the mall, I drove the both of us over to Bay Club Redwood Shores, where Lily had her swim class from 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. She had pizza for dinner, went to the grocery store with me, then I dropped her off at home.

After, I went back to Bay Club, where I work as a childcare associate, and worked with my friend Mary at her dinner night that she hosts every Wednesday, mostly socializing with her and talking to some of the parents.

Exhausted from my long day of online school and work, I drove home around 7:30 p.m. and relaxed for a little, watching the newest season of On My Block on Netflix. I went to bed a couple of hours later due to how tired I was. 

Lily, the six-year-old girl I nanny, and I shop at the Hillsdale mall today.

Thursday, March 12, 2020: The Last Day

Thursday, March 12 was supposed to be my last day of online school, and I was supposed to be at school today, but due to the coronavirus, school is canceled for physical learning and has now gone online. I feel as if this is a good thing because, if everyone is paranoid about the virus, it is better to quarantine our school and the students by staying at home in an online learning environment, rather than going to school and continuing to be upset about it. I feel as if coronavirus has been taken to the extreme, but I am not upset about it being canceled because I do not really like going to school. So far, it has been a lot of homework due to having both classwork and homework to complete. I am excited for the days to come because it gives me more time to complete my work and get what I need to get done at home. 

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *