Distance learning and new COVID-19 regulations

As the second semester of the 2021-2022 school year begins, the NDB community has seen many changes that accommodate the increase in COVID-19 cases throughout December and January.

Class days began again on January 6, but the first four days of the semester were completely via Zoom. January 6 and 7 were planned as remote learning days, and after complications with the COVID-19 test results for a majority of students and staff, it was decided that the following two school days would also be online.

“I think we’re doing a really good job compared to other schools that I’ve seen,” says NDB senior Ashley Mullarkey. “I think we’d rather be safe than sorry.”

Over winter break, the NDB community has seen a vast increase in COVID-19 cases due to the Omicron variant. As stated in an update sent by the school, over 80 cases were reported during winter break.

In light of this surge in cases, NDB has implemented new testing procedures that can be more precise in tracking the virus on campus. All students and staff must test once a week, and those who are unvaccinated must test twice weekly. Along with stricter testing regulations and more restrictions on masks, NDB has created a temporary online learning protocol for any student who has an excused absence regardless of their COVID-19 status.

“I think that the precautions that we’re taking are necessary,” added Mullarkey.

I think that the precautions that we’re taking are necessary

— Ashley Mullarkey

As a result of this complicated beginning to the semester, many NDB events have been impacted. Winter Formal had to be postponed from February 5 to March 19. It is unclear how prom or Aquacades will be impacted.