How will this year’s Intersession look different from 2020?

The Catalyst / Desea Bond
During collaboration in late January, students had the opportunity to sign up for on-campus activities or for a family or college trip.

Intersession is an NDB tradition that happens every other year. It is usually in the last week of February and it’s a week off of normal school with a multitude of different alternative academic activities available. It is no secret that this year’s Intersession will be much different than the last one in February 2020. This year, we are faced with COVID-19, and protocols will limit the different activities available. However, NDB is trying to create fun ideas for students while also keeping them safe.

This year, just like every other year, there will be classes and activities available on campus during Intersession. There are lots of classes being offered this year by many different teachers. Some of these include “Survivor,” Jewelry Making and Street Dance. It has been made known though that all Intersession activities will take place on campus, unless students choose to take a family trip or college visit, which is usually only allowed once out of a student’s Intersession experiences.

In previous years, NDB has organized group trips to locations around the world for different academic purposes. In 2020, there was a group who went to Southern California colleges and also Disneyland. Another group went to New York City, and there were even international trips to different locations in Europe.

Unfortunately due to COVID-19 restrictions, these types of trips will not be available. This has many fearing that this Intersession might not be as fun as previous years. I remember hearing about these types of trips in the eighth grade and it made me excited to go to NDB. Although the school must do what they can to keep the community safe, it still is disappointing that these types of fun activities are not available this year, and for myself as a junior, it is disappointing that this is my last Intersession and I never had the opportunity to experience one of the group trips.

My first Intersession in 2020, I took a yearbook class since I was participating in track and field, so could not go on any of the off-campus overnight trips. The class was fun, but looking back on it now, I do regret not taking the only chance I had to travel with my classmates instead. A majority of my friends went on the New York trip and they still talk about how much fun they had to this day.

There is also an option for students to take a family trip to any location. However, there needs to be an academic aspect. For example, someone can take a family trip to New York to look at colleges, or someone could take a trip to Europe to look at museums or study the culture. Students just need to make sure they document their travels to present their academic experience to the community. I feel that this option does seem fun and it is nice having dedicated time to look at colleges, but I can’t help but feel sad that this isn’t one of the group trips. I mean, I can take a trip with my family any time. I was looking forward to trying something new with my school friends, instead of doing something I could do any other time of the year.

Even though NDB is doing their part to make sure students still have a good Intersession, I think all the COVID-19 restrictions in place have made Intersession less special. In 2020 right before the pandemic, students saw it as a way to try a new skill or travel to a new place with all of their friends. Now though, it feels less unique and more just like a week off of normal school.