NDB’s first Aquacades in three years

The Catalyst / Emma Boyd

Classes cheer at NDB’s last Aquacades in 2019.

Aquacades, the biggest event of the NDB year, has once again returned. For the first time in three years, Aquacades will be in person this year on April 8. The Wildcats, Dragons and Monarchs will be experiencing this event for the first time and the Spartans will be leading the charge as the only class to experience an on-campus Aquacades.

As April approaches, the school is buzzing with anticipation for the biggest rally in all of NDB. ASB recently announced the theme of this year’s Aquacades: TVCades. Seniors have chosen tween shows and pop music, juniors chose reality TV and R&B music, sophomores chose sitcoms and rock music, and the freshmen chose drama shows and country music.

The seniors will prepare routines based off of tween shows such as Shake It Up or Victorious, the juniors will do the same with reality TV shows such as Keeping Up With The Kardashians, the sophomores will create routines to sitcoms such as Friends or Full House, and the freshmen will make routines to drama shows such as Gossip Girl. Many are excited to experience their first or last Aquacades and everyone is prepared to give it their all.

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, who have never experienced Aquacades, are beyond thrilled to participate. Sophomore Alyssa Komoto is elated to partake in the cheer routine with her sister class as well as watching the event.

Komoto explains her excitement, stating “I’m super excited for aquacades! During applications and open houses I remember hearing all about aquacades and how fun and special it is, so I’m so excited to experience it in person.”

Since the routines and the sisterhood are the biggest part of Aquacades, Komoto is most excited to cheer on her friends and sister class.

Komoto explains, “I’m really excited to cheer on all my friends and just have fun with all my classmates. I’ve been watching people work on our banners in the locker room so I can’t wait to see everyone’s hard work pay off.”

Seniors in particular are extremely excited to be able to experience their last Aquacades in person.

Senior Ava Lough shares her thoughts about the upcoming event, saying, “It’ll be interesting to see what has changed because of Covid restrictions, but I’m excited to be able to go to Aquacades again after all this time!”

Lough attended Aquacades her freshman year and expressed that one of her favorite parts was the backdrops.

Looking forward to this year, Lough expresses her excitement for backdrops once again, “I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone does with their backdrops this year!”

Lough, along with the entirety of the Senior class, cannot wait to see what Aquacades has in store.

The classes hope that Aquacades this year will live up to the hype and praise that the event receives. Earlier in the year, ASB made a slideshow explaining Aquacades to the juniors, sophomores and freshmen, using old photos and videos to show the excitement. If any excited students are reading this, look up Aquacades on the Urban Dictionary; they’ll find some definitions from alumnae about the occasion. NDB cannot wait for Aquacades to hit the “big screen” as a reboot after three long years.