Dig Pink Club: making Dig Pink happen

The Catalyst / Clair Sapilewski

Students spend time after school painting pink breast cancer awareness banners.

The Dig Pink Club is a group of students who assist with the yearly volleyball game at NDB aimed to raise awareness for breast cancer. The game brought fans from NDB, Mercy and Serra along with families of the athletes. An event with as many attendees as Dig Pink requires a team of dedicated individuals.

To help with the preparations for the game and week of events, the Dig Pink Club was created. Seniors Stella Jaunich, Sienna Villar and Megan Sarhatt head the club. Together they run the meetings and organize over 100 participants. Their club’s responsibilities include attending the game and raising money in addition to selling goods like the Dig Pink t-shirt.

“What we’re actually trying to do is raise money and awareness for breast cancer and the breast cancer foundations,” Jaunich said. “What we do as a club is we’ll set up the game and like all the activities.”

The Dig Pink Club also held a bake sale during lunch for a few days in early October. The money raised is donated to a charity of their choice. This year, they gave the money to the Bay Area Cancer Connections Foundation.

Although the Dig Pink volleyball game was held in person, it was still substantially impacted by COVID-19.

“I don’t know if anyone is really noticing, but we’re not allowed to advertise at all,” explained Jaunich. “It can’t really be a spirit point event just because the amount of people in the gym is limited.”

The club had to work through these limitations and focus their efforts not on getting the word out about the game, but about breast cancer itself. Between selling t-shirts, tasty baked goods, and encouraging the student population to dress in pink on the Wednesday before the big game, the Dig Pink Club has been busy this October.

Dig Pink is important to NDB and has become a highly anticipated event every fall. Since its beginning in 2014, the game has been reminding students and families alike how important it is to address and fight breast cancer.