Juniors on attending their first college rep visit

The Catalyst / Ava Marinos

The Counseling Center is covered in flags representing many of the colleges that visit.

It is that time of year again where college representatives visit the NDB campus. At these events, students can get a chance to learn more about colleges they are interested in applying to, such as the student life, campus, academics, and other programs at the school. It also grants students the opportunity to meet these representatives, many of whom will be assigned to evaluate their college applications in the future. This year, the college visits will begin on September 1st and run through mid November, and meetings can be either in-person or virtual in the Counseling Center. I decided to interview the juniors on whether or not they are interested in attending the college tours, and if so, which colleges they are most excited about coming to NDB.

The Catalyst (TC): Are you planning on attending a college rep visit this fall, and why?

Ella Chatterjee (EC): Yes, because I want to learn more about the college and I know that if you want to go to that college, it is good to attend because I heard that they wrote down the names of who came. It’s also good that the college knows that you have expressed interest.

TC: Which specific colleges are you most looking forward to attending?

EC: University of San Diego, University of Southern California, Boston University, UC Irvine, because I am looking into the Southern California area as well as the East Coast.

TC: Are you attending an in-person or virtual meeting? Why did you choose to go about the college tour in this format?

EC: In-person, because I feel like I would be more engaged in a face-to-face environment.

TC: What do you hope to gain from your time at the college rep visit?

EC: I hope to get a feel of what life is like as a student at the college, and just other things about the college such as the class sizes, tuition, and what they look for in college applications.

The Catalyst (TC): Are you planning on attending a college rep visit this fall?

Cristine Niswander (CN): Yes I am. I have a few college events I would like to attend. I have gone to the Chapman University and Boston University college representative visits already. Both were very helpful in further explaining what the schools have and what they are all about.

TC: Which specific college are you most looking forward to attending?

CN: I am most excited to attend the Loyola Marymount and Saint Mary’s college representative events. These schools are two of my top choices.

TC: Are you attending an in-person or virtual meeting? Why did you choose to go about the college event in this format?

CN: I went to Chapman University in-person, and Boston University online. The virtual meeting was not bad, but the in-person college representative visit for Chapman University was more exciting. They hand out brochures and business cards in the in-person meetings, and that kind of information can be difficult to share through zoom.

TC: What do you hope to gain from your time at the college rep visits?

CN: I hope to get a better understanding of what the school is looking for, and whether or not the school will be good for me in order to find my perfect college that will fit my standards.