The Class of 2022 is ready for its last year in “Sparta”

The Catalyst / Alexa Neilson

The Senior Class of 2022, also known as the Spartans, show off their class spirit during the first rally.

COVID-19 robbed both the Gators and the Knights of traditional senior years. NDB’s current senior class, the Spartans, hope for a different fourth year experience.

The Spartans are the only grade at NDB who have previously experienced a full year on campus. This means their responsibility to introduce the underclassmen to the school community has become even more important. Between rallies, Powderpuff games, Halloween spirit events, and Aquacades, many NDB traditions have not happened in over two years.

“The other classes haven’t been at school,” said NDB senior Sarah Massoudi. “So it’s almost like, I guess we’re teaching all the classes how it works.”

Not only the freshman, but the sophomores as well need to be shown the ropes.

“I get back on campus, and no one I know is there from other classes,” Massoudi explained. “It’s just so weird to see.”

This year’s seniors are determined to return to the NDB they know and love, which means staying in person. If events are pushed to online, their hope for a final year in highschool with the rest of their class will be destroyed.

“I am really excited to get back into rallies and dances,” senior Rebecca DeMeo shared. “I think it’ll be really nice to have that full senior experience which the last two year’s seniors didn’t get.”

I think it’ll be really nice to have that full senior experience which the last two year’s seniors didn’t get

— Rebecca Demeo

In order for traditional NDB spirit events to take place, the community will need to continue all COVID-19 precautions. This means keeping masks on at all times, staying a respectful distance from others, and staying home when sick.

The Spartan’s Senior Spash was already altered due to the virus. Usually, the senior class gets into the NDB pool in their class shirts and takes a picture as s group. This year however, students posed on the bleachers for the photo, and didn’t even get wet.

“If we don’t follow these policies and requirements then you’re putting other people at risk,” DeMeo said. “Even if you’re not worried about it yourself, you need to be able to think about how it affects other people.”

Although the Spartans have not had a typical high school experience, they are determined to make this last year at NDB spectacular.

“What’s different is this class is the only class that started with the traditions, had a massive gap, and now they are back to lead the traditions,” Senior Class Moderator George Retelas said. “The senior class right now is the student leaders of the school, which means all eyes are watching them.”

The Spartans have had a high school experience like very few others, riddled with trials and challenges. Now it is their turn to put their past difficulties and misfortunes aside and make the best of their last year at NDB.

They faced these difficulties as one class from the moment they entered the school on their first day freshman year. They will always be the the Blue Spartans. They hope to end their time in high school as it began, on campus, together.