Disneycades 2021 goes online

The Catalyst / George Retelas

NDB seniors watching Disneycades+ on the Father Downey Garden.

Aquacades is an NDB sisterhood tradition where the freshman and juniors compete with the sophomores and seniors for spirit points. With COVID-19, adjustments were made to keep the tradition alive during a pandemic. Aquacades 2021 occurred on May 7, from 6:00-9:00. It was virtually streamed to all classes online, but seniors came to NDB to watch on campus.

This year’s theme is Disneycades, separated into 4 different sections of Disney Plus and 4 different genres of music. The seniors got the first pick with Disney and hip hop and R&B. Next was the juniors with Pixar and pop music. The sophomore class’s theme is Marvel, and the music genre is rock. Lastly, the freshman with Star Wars and country.

“I enjoyed participating in aquacades,” said freshman Mallory Moore. “It was a very fun experience. Our group had a lot of fun practicing together, even though it was chaotic.”

In March 2020, students were sent home a week before Aquacades was supposed to happen. They weren’t able to perform, but are looking forward to this years’ spirit rally.

“I’m very excited,” said sophomore Megan Cabral. “I’m very sad that my freshman year, we weren’t able to do it. I love the group I’ve been doing Aquacades with and we’ve had a lot of fun, so I’m just really excited for everyone to see it and have a good time.”

It is nice for the seniors to participate with their friends in this last Aquacades. But although this last one, it is sensational for them to put this in their memories from NDB.

“I’d say it’s one of those things where I’ve done it every year and it’s just so exciting like hanging out with my friends and bonding with the other classes,” said senior Elizabeth Weishaar. “It’s just one of the highlights I guess of every year and it’s exciting to have it one last time before I graduate.”

Aquacades was a little different this year, but the NDB tradition continues. From first-time performances to students’ last, Aquacades is an experience they will never forget.