Aquacades from a sophomore’s POV

The Catalyst / Angela Ruggerio

NDB students participate in the Aquacades school rally.

Aquacades has been a strong tradition going on in some form at NDB for more than 60 years. It combines cheerleading, dance, art, and synchronized swimming all in one huge school rally. This year’s theme is Disneycades+ and the subcategories are Marvel, Disney, Pixar, and Star Wars. The sophomore class’s theme is Marvel, and our music genre is rock.

showing the NDB alumni that the tradition of Aquacades and the spirit of our school are being kept alive despite the challenges of “COVID-19 will definitely make a huge impact

I have never participated in Aquacades before since I am an incoming sophomore, so this event sparked interest in me and I thought it would not hurt to go for it. I decided to sign up to do a swim routine, which is something that is out of my comfort zone but I decided to give it a try for the fun of it. Throughout each of the practices, I have made the best memories with my duet partner, Cristine. We do not swim as a sport, but we both thought that doing something different for Aquacades would be an interesting challenge to take on. The nerves will definitely kick in before showcasing the routine, but the adrenaline will motivate us to perform our routine to the best of our ability and to just have fun!

Trying something new can be nerve-wracking, especially with the time crunch, but showing the NDB alumni that the tradition of Aquacades and the spirit of our school are being kept alive despite the challenges of COVID-19 will definitely make a huge impact.

Usually, the whole school would watch Aquacades in the pool bleachers and cheer as loud as they can for their class’s performers. Students would wear face paint, colored hair spray, and dress according to the theme and class color. Although Aquacades is different this year because of COVID-19 since there is not a physical audience, it will still be just as fun and exciting when we have costumes to wear, props to use, and unique routines to showcase.