NDB reopening plans for the future

The Catalyst / George Retelas

NDB students socially distanced, wearing masks, while on campus for an activity.

The NDB reopening plan has been pushed back, once again. Newly appointed Interim Head of School, Linda Kern, discussed reopening plans with parents this week, via Zoom. Per this webinar, NDB is fully prepared to open, once given approval from the County of San Mateo. At this point, there is still uncertainty, as COVID-19 cases continue to rise, due to gatherings over the recent holidays.

While some parents and students are anxious to get back on campus, NDB is reiterating its stance on ensuring the health and safety of the students and faculty is the number one priority. As in prior announcements, students will still have the option to continue distance learning or return to campus adhering to the established hybrid model.

“As a senior, I try to stay hopeful that we will get to go back to school,” said NDB senior Carmela Zumot. “It is a little disappointing that we have to postpone our opening, but I understand it is for the right reasons. As much as I would love to go back, safety is what matters most.”

Are you planning to go back on campus?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“It is no surprise that Notre Dame has postponed opening their campus as it was expected,” said NDB senior Zoe Enders. “I do not plan to return to campus anytime soon, due to the constant pushback. We have spent so much time adjusting to online already. The cases are only staggering in the Bay Area and it is necessary and more comfortable for us all to remain at home. Though it is sad and we all want to return to school to see friends, it is not worth the risk. Student life back on campus will be far from what it used to be and what we have longed for will not be the same. The rules for the hybrid model are structured to keep everyone safe. Staying online and postponing the return to campus, although disappointing, is the most important thing to do during this time since life is still not back to normal.”

Per the reopening plan, students will need to adjust to protocols, including health screenings, physical distancing, proper hygiene practices, and managing movement within their cohorts. Additionally, NDB has instilled a dress code that will include additional layers of clothing to keep students warm, while doors and windows remain open on campus. Some of these clothing items include coats, sweatpants, leggings, hats, gloves, and of course a comfy blanket.

It is still unknown when the mandated return to school training will be for parents and students. The required COVID testing on campus was also delayed. On a positive note, there is some relief on the way, as the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine becomes more widely available. Hospitals now need to ramp up their staff to accommodate vaccine requests from the elderly population. Information regarding NDB community updates can be found under Coronavirus (COVID-19) NDB Community Updates.