Lexi Coral, ’22

The Catalyst (TC): What do you think about the announcement to continue online distance learning until December?

Lexi Coral (LC): I think [it is a] smart choice, honestly, because a lot of schools I know publish that they’re going back [on campus], and it’s just not coordinated well, so I think it’s a smart decision. And I’m sad about it, I would like to be in school, online school has been hard for me. But I yeah I agree with their decision.

TC: So how are you doing with school right now academically, socially, and mentally?

LC: My grades are okay, but [doing assignments] that is really hard because my brain is like, I’m at home. And so it’s kind of conflicting with the fact that I have to do these assignments… I’m definitely a lot less social but I think that’s just because of me. Um, but otherwise. I’m doing well but I’m kind of worried about them [new NDB students] And mentally, I think I’m okay. Like I’m not like hurting, but my sleep schedule is off. It’s like I don’t have any more free time. So it’s just kind of puts a lot on stress on me because I kind of have to figure out a lot of things [material and lessons] on my own.

TC: So how has your class, tried to build community? This can be either like individual classes like English or math, or it can be like our Spartan class.

LC: I know that my math classes, stats and pre calc, the teachers kind of always asked how we’re doing…and everyone else is listening to what you [say you’re] doing. So I think that that kind of helps, it’s not entirely bonding with the entire class but the teacher knows how you’re doing so I like that.

TC: How do you feel about coming to school on campus with others who might not be careful with handwashing, mask-wearing, or social distancing?

LC: Um, I’d say that I’m pretty safe I hand sanitize, and I obviously can’t control the thoughts of others. But I say I’m more like fine with it. ‘Cuz I know I take precautions, I wash my hands, I try not to touch my face. You know, I wear my mask all the time. And so, Honestly, at this point it’s on them. Like, it’s really on them [other students] and if they’re not taking precautions I think that the teachers will have to deal with it if they see it.

TC: So how has working from home affected your work and home life? Can you see the separation between the two?

LC: It’s hard for me to like, yeah, I think I said before like it’s hard for me to differentiate [between the two]. First like at home, I’m in my room, and I constantly feel like I have to move places, like in my living room, or in the office workspace at my house. It’s weird and I can’t like find the mode where I’m like, ‘okay I’m at school, I need to work on this.’. And so it’s kind of hard for me to do that. Um, and I know that, like, previously, when we did have school, I would come home and I would at least have like a two-hour break from school… And now I have no breaks, and I feel like [I have] an unnecessary amount of homework. That’s why I don’t know if it’s just junior year, or if it’s because of online school. I think it’s probably a little bit of both.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *