The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Peyton Sneyder

Peyton Sneyder, a senior at Mercy High School

Peyton Sneyder, senior at Mercy High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Peyton Sneyder, a senior at Mercy High School in Burlingame, about her experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Peyton Sneyder (PS): At 7:55 am., I normally have a free period, so I can get a head start on homework. Then, I’ll have 15 minutes in-between to get a break and then I’ll buckle down in class, and it’s normally over by 2:30 p.m. I have a leisure class at the end of the day, so it’s not too stressful. 

TC: How are you coping with social distancing and keeping in touch with your friends?

PS: It’s a lot harder than it is because, normally, I’m used to seeing friends during a regular school day, and now it’s hard to see everyone because no one is going out of their houses. 

TC: How do you feel about online school? What do you like or dislike about it?

PS: I do not like how certain teachers are taking it a lot more seriously than others. So, it’s harder for me to get a good balance in certain classes in comparison to others. I like that everything is at your own pace because then I feel like I have more time to put in the effort.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *