Dr. Elizabeth Hegarty,  Science Department Chair

The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of The Torch yearbook

Dr. Elizabeth Hegarty, Science Department Chair

Three weeks in: Teacher reflects on online distance learning

As NDB tigers are approaching a month of having been conducting classes through distance learning, many teachers are beginning to feel the strain of this new style of education on their ability to complete their curriculum.

Science Department Chair, Dr. Elizabeth Hegarty, said that the normal curriculum in her classes “has been reduced, and I have been struggling to decide what to let go of and what to keep. We were just about to enter our heavy lab period and virtual labs do not match up to real lab experience.”

She says that adjusting to new platforms such as Zoom has been a struggle, saying, “It has been an uphill battle. I feel like a new teacher all over again!”

However, she noted that these programs have been good about providing support for teachers.

“When I am faced with minor tech issues, and can’t fix them quickly in a lesson, I do feel frustrated, but I am so grateful for Zoom and Schoology. At least I get to see my students on a regular basis. We have been using Schoology for quite some time now, so I am familiar with that system.  Unfortunately, the platform is not as robust as it needs to be to support so many extra users. I am so grateful that so many online services are offering support to educators as we go through this challenging period.”

In addition, CollegeBoard recently announced that their annual AP exams will be conducted entirely online, and that each one has changed from 2 or 3 hours to only 45 minutes. This has been a source of stress for students and educators alike.

When asked about whether she believed that this new format would accurately test student knowledge, Hegarty responded, “Before attending a webinar today [April 2], I had my doubts that it could truly reflect a depth of knowledge. CollegeBoard has selected questions from this year’s scheduled exam which they feel are most appropriate to measure a student’s ability. It may be open-book but unless a student can apply knowledge, open-book isn’t going to help.”

She also has noticed that the school has provided necessary support throughout this challenging time, saying, “I have felt very well supported. We have regular meetings and tech training, and it is wonderful to have the opportunity to exchange ideas with my colleagues.”

When asked if students in her classes were adapting well, she said, “I do worry that they are being deprived of social interaction with their peers at a time when they should be most outgoing. Students’ well-being comes first, and I think NDB is working hard to help students and teachers remain connected.”

The emotional and mental toll that this process has taken on NDB students has impacted both their ability to learn and their overall well-being.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *