The Catalyst / Ally Lawrence

Baking has become a popular activity to help pass the time during shelter in place.

Tiger Activities Helps the Community Stay Connected

The NDB community has been trying to stay connected during the coronavirus pandemic by offering activities for the students to stay active and positive. 

Some of the faculty have been setting up weekly activities to maintain students’ mental health. These teachers and staff members include Veronica Gasco, Caitlin Walsh, Bradley Hoge, Alisia Bergholm, Coach Kate Mahoney, Ashley Willits, Abigail Vega, and Claudia Sarconi. Each of these activities appeals to at least one of the students, creating well-rounded projects and exercises that will keep the NDB community connected! 

Alisia Bergholm is diving into those who love to bake, with “Baking with Bergie,” where students are able to make something yummy with just a few ingredients.

“My class was baking with Bergie. I baked a super easy cookie recipe: oatmeal, bananas and chocolate chips. I feel that this is a fun way for students to get away for even a little bit and feel some happiness during these trying times. A couple of the students emailed me after my baking class and said how they loved them and they were going to bake some for their neighbors. Happiness is baking cookies then sharing them with everyone,” Bergholm shares.

Sophomore Carmela Zumot reflects on “Baking with Bergie,” hosted by staff member Alisia Bergholm. 

“I really enjoyed Baking With Bergie, it allowed a fun break from a long day of online school, not to mention the cookies were so good! Getting to keep in touch with teachers and staff members through these activities is something that can give us a little bit of a break from the hard times we’re going through. Doing non-academic things can be a relief for a lot of people,” Zumot explains.

If the students need to cool down, Claudia Sarconi is there for them to meditate and give them tips on happiness. 

“On Fridays during lunch, I am offering a 20-minute meditation and science of happiness session. I see it as an opportunity for us to come together, learn some science-based tips about simple things we can do to be happier, and do a short meditation together,” Sarconi says.

Dr. Hoge has been monitoring weekly poetry meetings via Zoom where students are able to express their creativity with others and share their feelings through their poetic writing. NDB Counselor Ms. Gasco is inviting all pet lovers to bring their pets onto Zoom and create a bond with other students who have pets as well. Ms. Willits and Ms. Vega are having a jam session where students are allowed to request a song and they will play it for them, allowing students the freedom of listening to some of their own music, as well as finding new music through other students as well. The Athletic Department also hopped on the bandwagon by keeping students active with Coach Kate’s quick fitness workout! 

Due to all of these activities, some of them happening weekly and some of them being newly introduced, the NDB community is there for the students, trying to keep them busy.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *