The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Sophie Alter

Sophie Alter, a junior at Palo Alto High School

Sophie Alter, junior at Palo Alto High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Sophie Alter, a junior at Palo Alto High School, about her experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Sophie Alter (SA): At Paly, until spring break, school work is “flexible” unless you are in AP classes, then the work is mandatory. I wake up around 8:00 a.m. and start doing class work. When I need a break, I’ve been going on hikes with my dogs and friends. With AP tests changing, I’ve been starting to adapt my studying for those. 

TC: How are you coping with social distancing and keeping in touch with your friends?

SA: Social distancing is not too fun, but my friends and I make it work. We go on hikes and do big group FaceTime’s. I also get to be a part of essential staff for a horse rescue, so I have an excuse to go outside for a few hours. 

TC: How do you feel about your school year ending like this?

SA: Paly just changed to credit/no credit and pass/fail courses for this semester in hopes to relieve stress, but has actually caused more. Having only passing grades to offer colleges as a second semester junior is not ideal and, as someone who didn’t do my best last semester, I was using this semester to show progress. But, I’m thankful I’m not a senior because I couldn’t imagine my last six months of school being spent like this.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *