The Catalyst / Photo courtesy of Nate Sanchez

Nate Sanchez, senior at Serra High School

Since many schools have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, many high school students are going to school online in what is called distance learning. Some of them communicate with their teachers via email or websites, like gClassroom and Schoology. Others participate in online classrooms via video conferencing apps, like Google Hangouts and Zoom. The Catalyst interviewed Nate Sanchez, senior at Serra High School, about his experiences going to school online.

The Catalyst (TC): What is a typical day of school like for you?

Nate Sanchez (NS): The first few weeks we did not have anything mandatory like Zoom, so all we got was work to do that was due by a certain day. But, things have changed in this previous week because we have mandatory Zoom with a maximum of two classes each day and Wednesday off each week. 

TC: How are you coping with social distancing and keeping in touch with your friends?

NS: I am fine. I keep my distance from most people, and the only person I usually visit is my girlfriend. 

TC: What do you like and dislike about distance learning?

NS: I like the free time I have, and doing everything on my own time… It is something to get used to because we will be doing something similar in college. I dislike not being able to see my friends in school, and I dislike my teachers assigning things to be due on the weekend, not the weekdays.

The Catalyst • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Catalyst Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *