Volleyball Courts Are Now In Session

The volleyball team is off to a strong start this season. As of this writing, the Tigers’ varsity, JV, and freshman teams’ win/loss records are 4-0, 3-1, and 2-0, respectively.

The varsity team hopes to repeat the victory of past seasons.  It recently beat their local rival, Carlmont High School, in what NDB students call the Battle of Belmont.  It was a tough fight against the Scots, but the Tigers won in the fifth set with a score of 15-13.

Varsity head coach Jen Agresti and assistant coach Kimmy Washington have helped their players put in the hard work during practice for victories during games. Last week, the team headed off to Las Vegas, Nevada for the Durango Fall Classic, a two-day-long tournament sponsored by Nike.

Earlier this month, the San Mateo Daily Journal honored three players, including senior Vanessa Pan and sophomores Abby Miller and Kelly Satchel, as “Athletes of the Week” according to the San Mateo Daily Journal because of their skills in putting away kills and working on their defense.

Pan is an outside hitter and defense specialist on the team. She has played for varsity since the end of her sophomore year. She has made a huge impact on the team at Notre Dame and she has played during many of its biggest games.

She also has played club volleyball with Encore and Red Rock.

When asked if she gets nervous during a game, she said, “Not really. The crowd helps the team with energy, and I feel like I do better with a bigger crowd.”

Like the other players, Pan is excited to play in the school’s Dig Pink game against Harker School on Thursday, October 13 at 6:30pm, explaining that she loves the crowd of students showing their school spirit and support for breast cancer awareness.

The team hopes to win CCS championships again, and qualify to go to State. In 2016 the team won state, and they hope to live up to that dream again.