NDB hosts All Saints’ Day Mass

The Catalyst / Lauren Fitzgerald

A student receives Communion at the All Saints’ Day Mass.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022, students gathered in the Moore Pavillion to celebrate All Saints’ Day with a community Mass. The Mass was accompanied by student dancers, singers and servers. All Saints’ Day celebrates all those celebrated as saints by the Catholic Church. At NDB, the day also pays homage to Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, a similar tradition in Latin American households and regions.

While the day’s morning downpour required that the gathering be moved from the Notre Dame de Namur University Chapel to the Moore Pavillion, Día de los Muertos symbols garnished the gym. The altar was adorned with Marigolds, the traditional flower of the holiday, and several pictures of loved ones lost by the NDB community to honor their memory.

“It honored our diversity and our equality as a school,” said Hallmarks in Action Board Member Ilaria Dell’Abbate. “It was also a really great way to show our different cultures and honor those we have lost.”

Students took part in the Mass in a myriad of ways. The NDB students of the Tri-School choir led the congregation in song, accompanied by student and volunteer musicians. Two student dancers, freshman Alex Davidow and senior Ava Marinos, glided along with the opening and closing processions in a display of NDB’s artistic talents. Two more seniors, Bella Topalian and Emma Rassmussen, dressed in traditional Día de Los Muertos wear with painted faces and symbolic headpieces.

“My role in the Mass was to dress as La Catrina to represent the beautiful culture seen in Día de los Muertos, a celebration of life and the flowered crown became a tradition as people would take flowers to the grave on the day of the dead,” said Topalian. “I liked that our school is able to celebrate Día de los Muertos and contribute it to our Mass.”

In addition to student performers, several took part in readings, both in English and Spanish. Students leaders were joined by Amy Jobin, who helped lead the Mass’ processions, and the local Sisters of Notre Dame.

Student leadership and artistry, along with the participation and engagement of the entire NDB community, ensured yet another successful All Saints’ Day Mass, and a well-loved Día de los Muertos celebration.