Letter to the editor: Essalat responds to menstrual products issue

Menstrual+products+have+been+made+available+and+accessible+in+campus+restrooms.+

Menstrual products have been made available and accessible in campus restrooms.

With the passing of AB-367, also known as the Menstrual Equity for All Act of 2021, no student should ever have to experience a lack of access to period products again. According to Medical News Today, “Globally, an estimated 500 million people who menstruate lack access to menstrual products and hygiene facilities.” That is simply unacceptable.

While AB-367 requires all public schools in California to supply free menstrual products in at least one facility on their campus, private academic institutions should be held to the same standard. Period poverty is pervasive, limiting access to the products necessary to maintain one’s personal, physical and emotional health and well-being. There is no distinction between the need for access to menstrual supplies at a public versus private school. Students are students, and all students deserve to have their basic needs met when it comes to menstruation.

I am grateful to The Catalyst for identifying this need at NDB.

As we continue to empower all students, it is essential that we align ourselves with best menstrual practices. Therefore, dispensers in both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms have been altered to no longer require payment for products.

Additionally, updated dispensers have been ordered for both the basement bathroom as well as the one located in the Moore Pavilion so that they are easier to use. These will be routinely checked and refilled, as needed, by members of our janitorial team.

If anyone finds them empty, Ms. Tauskey will continue to have supplies available for any student who requires them.

As we seek to maintain access for all, I would only ask that we are mindful to take only what we need in any particular moment so as to make certain that resources are available to everyone.