Community prepares for annual Ding Bat Day

by Shreya Chatterjee

Spirit Week will culminate on Tuesday with Ding Bat Day, an opportunity for students to dress up in costumes, participate in contests and games, and celebrate Halloween.

This year’s competitions include the annual pumpkin carving contest and a costume contest, and two new ones: Pet Dress Day and the Halloween Bake-Off.

For the pumpkin contest, students can carve anything on their pumpkins and win a prize in one of several categories, including the most creative, cutest, funniest, or scariest, or best overall.

The costume contest is a good way for students and teachers to show their creativity and imagination. This year’s categories include cutest, “Do it yourself,” duo, funniest, group, scariest, or teacher, or best overall.

This year, ASB has created the new Pet Dress-up Day.  Students can email pictures of their pets dressed up in costumes for a chance to be displayed on the school monitors.

Another new contest is the Halloween Bake -Off where students can cook sweet treats for the community to sample and then be judged based on apparance and taste. The winners will get a goodie bag, created by ASB.

The week preceding Ding Bat Day is Spirit Week. Each day of the week is a different theme, from “On Wednesdays, We Wear Pink” to raise awareness for breast cancer to Monday’s “Meme Day” for students to showcase their favorite Internet images.

ASB President and senior Roxana Khalili says, “Spirit Week is a great time for students to express not only their spirit from NDB, but also for the Halloween festivities to come on Ding Bat day.”

Ding Bat Day and Spirit Week are both opportunities to get involved and celebrate with the school community.

With contributions by Jillian Antunez